Before the suspension of in-person programming in March 2020 because of COVID-19, Let’s Talk Science was on track to reach or exceed targets for youth and educator interactions. Months of school closures across Canada - from Kindergarten to post-secondary - resulted in a 19% decrease in overall reach compared to the prior year. However, we innovated and transitioned quickly to support online learning. Hundreds of in-person events were cancelled but nearly half of the Let’s Talk Science Outreach sites offered some programming online. Many other initiatives - both online and offline, for youth, educators and families were developed by our national team.
- Impacted nearly 810,000 youth and educators across Canada
- Nearly 2,300 volunteers were engaged
- Over 25,000 volunteer hours with youth coast-to-coast-to-coast
- 13,300 classrooms participated in national projects
- Approximately 3.4 million page views of web content
- 50+ Outreach sites across Canada
- 3,800 learning sessions delivered
- More than 190,000 people accessed digital resources during the school shutdown
- Programming used in over 4,000 schools and in more than 1,200 communities in every province and territory.