I was born/grew up in: Ancaster, Ontario
I now live in: Oakville, Ontario
I completed my training/education at: Mohawk College
What I do at work
I operate two separate companies, LinxSmart and SOAP Vault.
For LinxSmart I do the following:
- Ensure projects and operations are running smoothly.
- Plan software solutions for clients prior to having our development team build them.
- Explore opportunities to gain new clients (marketing)
For SOAP Vault I am responsible for:
- Ensuring feature development is on schedule and meeting quality expectations.
- Planning new features.
- Helping with customer support
We use computer science for our software development processes and I analyze client situations to determine the best solution to improve efficiency of their operations through the use of custom business web/mobile applications. My STEM background helps with solving problems and making decisions because, working with a very logically driven team, we focus more on factual decisions rather than emotional.
My career path is
- Basic business and computer programming knowledge from high school. Enough to get me interested.
- College level business and computer science.
- The rest was experience.
My career is in the field and direction I wanted. I hoped I would be further ahead in that direction (50 person company, we are currently 5), but still doing what I wanted to do. I decided to go in this direction because it matched my interests with what I felt to be an in-demand future opportunity.
I am motivated by
I very much enjoy providing a new perspective of technology to businesses who typically didn't have custom software development as a viable option. Moving from traditional to modern methods of managing business information can yield exponential improvements, and it's great to be managing those projects.
How I affect peoples’ lives
We build business applications for our clients, and their employees. We need to ensure the product we build will make their job easier and more efficient.
Outside of work I
- Spend time with family and friends
- Rock climbing
- Video games
My advice to others
Focus on what interests you, what you're good at, and be the best at that. Specialization is very important.