In high school I knew I loved science, but I did not have a career in mind. When I graduated high school, I got a scholarship to the local university college. There I took general science and was inspired by the physics department to complete my BSc in Physics. The summer before my final year I realized I still did not a career in mind. I took a career aptitude test through my school and one of the top items was Civil Engineering Technology. It sounded interesting so I did some research. I liked what I saw so once I completed my BSc I signed up the Civil Engineering program at BCIT. I actually worked at BCIT as an instructional assistant for two years following graduation. From there I went to work at ISL Engineering, where I have been ever since!
Find someone in the career you are interested in and ask questions.
I love working with others and doing work that helps others. The people and company that I work with make a huge difference to my personal job satisfaction.
I work as part of a team consisting of Structural Engineers and Engineering Technologists. All projects have at least two sets of eyes to do and review the work. Computers/tablets are the most common technologies we use - computers in the office and tablets in the field. The senior Engineer delegates the work to the team. Most major design decisions are from the senior members of the team; however, all members are included as part of the discussions. The work normally consists of designing and drawing structures in the office and inspecting those structures in the field.
- Literature and English Language Arts
- Home Economics
- Brought People Together
- Enjoyed doing things on my own
- Liked helping people
- Organized activities for my friends
- Played on a sports team
- Enjoyed working with my hands
- Liked being given specific instructions
- Liked being given free range to explore my ideas
- Engaged in volunteer activities
- Liked reading
- Played video games
- Was really creative
- Felt great satisfaction in getting good grades
- Wasn't sure what I wanted to do
- Liked to take things apart to see how they worked
- Liked to design or build things
- Engaged in activities such as fishing
- Learned Best by Doing